Adventures in Nursery Decorating

19 May

Perhaps this post would best be served by me giving you a little insight into our plan for the nursery. I have a vision.  It’s perhaps still developing, but it’s a vision nonetheless.  I happen to think if your vision gets stuck in one place, perhaps you are being a bit too stubborn.  But I digress.

I found the most amazing color for a nursery over on my friend and fellow photographer, Candice Lanning’s blog – The Beautiful Mess Photography.  She and her hubby did a session for some clients who had just had a baby, and the color of their nursery was GORGEOUS!  I loved the yellow combined with the blue.

This is my first point of inspiration.  I am going for a slightly bolder look – a bit brighter with the yellow and adding in some orange and maybe even some red as accents.

Amazingly, when I showed this to Joel, he liked it too!  Shocking, I know.  I asked Candice to find out the name of the paint color, because I am obsessive like that, and she, being the amazing person that she is, asked them.  Thank you, Candice!  So, here it is:

Because Joel was in hard core “nesting mode” far and long before I was (immediately after finding out we were pregnant, while I was still in a bit of shock), we chose this color before we knew the sex of our baby.  Because of that, I wanted to make sure it was something I could make masculine for a boy or feminine for a girl.  It needed to be a flexible color.  Is that even a thing?  Well, regardless… So Bird’s Egg seemed like a good choice.  A turquoise-ey blue with enough green to not look completely baby (or Carolina, ugh) blue.  Joel painted the nursery with one hand (and a significant amount of help from Brandon, his brother-in-law), and it looks amazing.

But that’s just a color, and one color does not a vision make.  So, here are some of the other things I’ve been thinking of for the little nursery…

The Furniture -in the darker color.  The crib converts to a toddler bed, then a twin, then a daybed, then a double.  Or full.  I can’t remember.  Either way, one bed – whole life.  Love that.  Waiting for it to come in the next few weeks.  I think it will help me visualize the room a little better.

Giraffe Shelf (originally seen on black eiffel) – which will be modified from this version and made by my dad.  Told you, he can do anything.  We’ll probably do a bunch of giraffes and/or other animals along a longer line in the back, and then put a small shelf cantilevered from the front.  Maybe I’ll double-decker it so there are two rows of animals and two shelves.

Canvases – here are a few of them… I love the elephants the most! Sorry for the bad iphone pictures – better ones when everything is done.

Curtains – not sure which fabric I’m going to choose.  I’m open to suggestions and opinions.  I just want 2  simple panels from the top of the window to the floor… or halfway between windowsill and floor.  I’m going to make these myself, with the sewing machine my sister willingly gave up for me to use.  Thanks, Rachel!

I found all of these fabrics on etsy.com because the selection in the fabric store is less than desirable.  At least I think so.

Bedding – again, not sure which fabrics to choose.  Help?  These and/or any of the above… ack!

I’m having a hard time choosing, because I’ve already had one fabric mishap.  I ordered these curtains from urbanoutfitters:

They look white, yes?  Well, they came yesterday.  They are most certainly NOT white.  They are a weird shade of beige that just looks dirty next to that sweet cool blue wall and white trim.  So back they go.  Hence the making my own curtains thing.  I’m ok with that, though.  I like to make things.  It will be an adventure.  (Mom always used to say that when we were lost in the car.  Not to say that I’m lost at sewing… well, it has been years, so I suppose it’s possible.)

Anyway, that’s it for the first installment of Adventures in Nursery Decorating.  I would love to hear what you think about the fabrics… or if you have ever made crib bedding yourself… how hard is it?

9 Responses to “Adventures in Nursery Decorating”

1. Heather May 20, 2010 at 2:05 am #

Love the paint color! We went with a blue/brown scheme since we didn’t know if LuLu was a boy or girl. Well, Neal knew, but that’s another story.
    Anyway, I love the blue color for a girl. And pairing that with orange is simply fabulous.
    Curtains are super easy to sew up. Have you tried Wish Upon a Quilt by RDU? They have a lot of those fabric lines that you can see and touch. That always helps me make a choice.
    Oh, and sheets are very easy to sew up as well. I took a twin sheet from Tar-jay and made it into a crib sheet. So much softer than any pre-made sheet I’ve bought.
    Crib bumpers are a little hard to sew, just because they are so bulky.
    And I love those canvases! So sweet!

2. Jenny May 20, 2010 at 2:37 am #

I love it! The paint color is fabulous! My bathroom will be painted a similar color (Majestic Blue).

I’ve never made crib bedding but from what I’ve seen in some books I was looking at (for making baby gifts) it looks a little difficult. Just don’t buy a Butterick pattern… trust me.

3. Beth May 20, 2010 at 6:50 am #

I made all our baby stuff.. you know back in the day!:o) Make crib bumpers as a “cover” over the padding filling (so you can take off and wash) I attached strips to keep it secure to the bed. (i’m also thinking they don’t exactly recommend bumper pads anymore…. but not sure why) you can make lots of quilts, pads and sheets free hand by measuring your crib…. I never used a pattern. I would LOVE to help you if you need it. when you make curtains… to have a good amount of gathering at the top (i assume you don’t want pleats) you measure 2 -21/2 times the width of the window for each panel… so if your window is 36″ wide …. each side needs to be 72-90″ wide.(you will loose some width in the hems) anyway.. will get you started.

4. Michayla May 20, 2010 at 12:31 pm #

first of all, i would like to say that i love the fact that you used the word “cantilevered.” 🙂

secondly, i love the blue color. and i am impressed, as always, with your canvas painting. you should talk to b about making the nursery bedding. she made all of say’s and would be able to provide some insight i think.

it is going to be beautiful though! can’t wait to see the finished product!

5. marissa May 20, 2010 at 12:44 pm #

i am in love with the color you chose 🙂 tiffany blue/turquise/robins egg are all my absolute favorite (a trend reflected in my clothes and most everything else i own…)

as for the fabrics, i love a lot of them- its just tricky to know which without seeing them in person!

it looks like you’ve got the furniture taken care of, but if you need anything extra there is a great place in Burlington called 2nd Hand Rose and they have lots of solid furniture for really cheap. they are like me and absolutely love your color scheme, so you could find a lot of items that match/compliment the color well. and i’m happy to take a trip there ANY day!

ps- thanks for writing. i like reading your blog. i especially love the title!

6. Rachel Barker May 20, 2010 at 1:24 pm #

So amazingly cute, Rebecca! Love the fabric choices. And YES I agree that fabric stores have terrible selection these days. So sad!

7. rschlieman May 22, 2010 at 3:37 am #

Thanks everyone! I’m really excited to see the whole thing come together.

Heather – I did not know there was a place here that carries those fabric lines… I will have to go check it out!! Thanks!!

And thanks for all the other tips! I will check all those places out! You guys are the best!

8. Millie holloman May 24, 2010 at 3:01 pm #

Oh I do love these fabrics and I love the name of your blog… too cute!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Adventures in Nursery Decorating « Of Law School and Lullabies -- Topsy.com - May 20, 2010

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Rebecca Schlieman, Rebecca Schlieman. Rebecca Schlieman said: Adventures in Nursery Decorating… part 1 http://tinyurl.com/28p69rr […]