Heartbeats and Pedicures

3 Jun

Today has been an interesting day.

We had a doctor’s appointment this morning.  I never really know how long these things will take.  Sometimes it’s 30 minutes, sometimes it’s 3 hours.  Today’s was of the shorter variety.  Measurements, bloodwork, and listening to the baby’s heartbeat.  Everything looked good – I’m measuring at 24 weeks, which is about what I would expect.  Baby’s heartbeat sounded good – the doctor had no trouble finding it and baby girl even kicked the doppler machine pretty hard while we were listening.  They took blood to check my thyroid levels.  Then the question that you’re asked every time:

“Do you have any questions?”

Well, yes, actually I do.  Given that this is my first baby, I don’t really know what’s normal and what’s not.  So I asked the doctor about what I thought was the baby kicking me in the diaphragm.  The kicking isn’t what bothers me – it’s that my heart feels like it’s beating out of my chest, and I feel short of breath for a while afterward.

The doctor, though, doesn’t think it can be the baby.  She’s apparently not up that high yet, and since it’s been going on for several weeks, she is very doubtful that it could be from kicking.  Instead, she thinks that it’s probably hormones causing my heart to beat irregularly.  Nothing serious, she says – but I’m just saying, it’s your heart – hearts are pretty serious things.  So she’s sending me to the cardiologist for an EKG, and it’s likely that they’ll send me home with a holter monitor to wear for 24 hours.

So far, I’m doing ok.  I’m trying hard not to freak out about it, but it seems just kind of crazy.  What I thought was just a little baby kicking me, turns out might be my heart doing something funky.  I don’t know what it is… but it’s just a strange thing to think about.  They might wait to give me a referral until my thyroid labs come back, so it could be next week before I know when the EKG will be.

Have any of you ever had this happen?  What did it end up being?  I’ve been researching on the internet, but that’s starting to freak me out a bit, so I’m closing it down.

In other news, I’m pretty excited for tomorrow.  I’m planning to go out to the quilt store to look at some of the fabrics I like in person, and maybe even take a few minutes and a gift certificate to go get a mani-pedi.  Anyone want to join me?  A pedicure is always more fun with a friend. 🙂

We also went with Kelli, Brandon, and Maddie to Maddie’s first movie in the theater – the latest installment in the Shrek series.  Walking into the theater, she turned the corner and saw the darkness, the big screen, and she just froze.  Joel had to pick her up and carry her in.  But after she got in there, she seemed to really love the whole thing.  She ate a ton of popcorn, candy, and drank from everyone’s sodas.  Seriously, does a 3rd birthday get much better than that??  I think it was the most fun I’ve ever had in a movie too – just watching her have so much fun.

8 Responses to “Heartbeats and Pedicures”

1. Heather June 3, 2010 at 1:22 pm #

Well, I’ve never had any personal experience with heart issues during pregnancy. But, I do know that when something comes up during pregnancy (either you or the baby) it is a hard thing to sit and wait. And you were right to turn off the internet. That usually only leads to more worries, and you don’t need to be worrying now. 🙂 Waiting is so hard. I’ll be praying that you’ll have peace as you wait and that the results of your monitoring are nothing to worry about!
    Wish I was in town to go to the quilt store. Love that place!

2. Christy June 3, 2010 at 2:02 pm #

I have a heart condition anyways, but it did seems to get slightly worse during pregnancy, especially if I was laying on my left side. I’ll be praying things turn out ok. Which quilt shop are you going to? Wish upon a quilt is my favorite, but I like the Bernina store and Carolina Sew N Vac. I love your nursery plans so far!

• rschlieman June 3, 2010 at 3:25 pm #

I’m going to your favorite! Heather suggested it, and they have some of the fabric lines I’ve been looking at online, so I’m going to see them first hand!

3. Beth June 3, 2010 at 7:28 pm #

To reassure you, Rebecca….pregnancy causes your blood volume to increase to provide for 2 lives and that could lead to a little strain on your heart….so symptoms not there when not pregnant show up then. (like higher blood pressure associated with pregnancy and when you are no longer pregant… then it’s normal). I have the same symptoms occasionally and not being pregnant… My cardiologist says they don’t do anything when it;s occasional. I’m glad your Dr. is diligent and cautious… He/she is taking good care of BOTH of you. I’m praying with Heather for PEACE!!

4. Kim Smith June 3, 2010 at 9:47 pm #

I’m convinced that the extra estrogen from a baby girl can do funny things to your heart! After I delivered Presley, I was having palpitations & PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) and had to have an EKG and an echo. I also got an enlarged thyroid gland post-delivery. I no longer have palpitations (or at least very rarely, which I attribute to caffeine) and it seems like pregnancy can just do stuff like that. My echo was normal, so the cardiologist didn’t ask me to follow-up. Good luck!

5. Ginny June 5, 2010 at 2:09 pm #

I have no advice on babies or hearts…however, I’d be a great companion for a pedi-mani 🙂

6. rschlieman June 6, 2010 at 11:45 pm #

Ginny, I never made it to the mani-pedi part of my plan, so anytime you’re in Raleigh, I’m up for a stop like that. You just let me know.

7. ashley teeter June 10, 2010 at 6:47 pm #

This is so ironic. Like freaky. I was on your facebook page because I dig the new picture and saw this blog on there so I clicked it and wham! here I am reading about my life story in January. Every now and then my heart feels like it skips a beat – almost as if you are on a trampoline and someone comes up and jumps off rythm to steal your jump — ok nevermind. ANYWAY, then my heart would be CRAZY FAST for several minutes, eventually correcting itself. It has gotten more frequent over the past year or two so I mentioned it to my Dr and like you, was referred to a Cardiologist. I went somewhere off Six Forks and was absolutely terrified. I’m slightly a hypochondriac anyways and like you, researched the snot out of it on the internet, only giving myself something short of a panic attack. The Cardio did an EKG and I also went in the following day for a stress test. Didn’t think I’d have to do that for another 30 years. That was freaky because I just knew the EKG would show some previous heart attacks and the stress test would show them how irregular my heart is. But I saw my heart and the blood flowing on the screen and the tech kept reassuring me everything was fine. They sent me home with a monitor for 24 hrs, telling me to mark down anytime I felt something irregular. Of course in that 24 hrs I didnt. So they chalked it up to normal irregularities and nothing to worry about. He said that everyone has irregularities and some people are more sensitive to feeling them. Some showed up on my 24 hr monitor after they printed the results but they were normal. Things like caffeine, lack of sleep, and stress can increase occurances as well.. which I’m sure you’ve read about. Hopefully mine won’t get worse when I decide to plant the baby seed! Good luck and please let me know if you have questions!!!