Paint Colors

30 Oct

Ok, so I’m having an internal struggle with color. Of the walls.

I seem to get into a rut.  My rut used to be green.  I painted our downstairs green.  Then our master bath – a kind of seafoam.  Then I didn’t like that so I painted it an ocean blue.  Then we had a baby and we painted her room robin’s egg blue.  Then we put our house on the market and we painted the downstairs a barely-not-white color of blue.  So now, my rut is blue.

Now we are moving into a new house.  I don’t want to paint all the walls, just a few accent walls.  But I do want to use fun, bold colors.

Here’s the house….

Clara’s room will stay the same.  Blue.

There are only a couple other places I want to paint at this point.  The dining room and the fireplace wall in the living room.  Here’s the dining room:

And the color I want to paint it…

Blue.  Haha.  But I love it – LOVE it.  With the white trimwork, I love the way it pops!

By the way – if you want to try this out, I did it on sherwinwilliams.com, which allows you to upload a photo and mask off a wall, and drag any of their paint colors onto it to see what it would look like instantly.  Love that.

Here’s the other wall I want to paint:

The question is, what color do I paint it?  Our furniture is dark brown, but besides that I don’t have any other color restrictions.  I seem to be gravitating towards…. oh, you guessed it…

Blue.  But I don’t want the whole house to be blue.  So I am asking for your help.  Help me figure out what color to paint that wall.  Just the one wall.  Please?  I have to decide this week, because we close next Tuesday and move in next Friday!

If you suggest the winning color, you can have the satisfaction of knowing that you have amazing taste!

9 Responses to “Paint Colors”

1. Beth October 31, 2010 at 12:16 pm #

i love my cafe au lait color in my kitchen… ( looks like coffee with cream) tht would look sharp. or a deep burgandy… but then they are the colors I like ! 🙂

2. dtdorrin October 31, 2010 at 9:07 pm #

I’m partial to greens, especially when it’s paired with brown. I think a medium green (with more blue than yellow) would be lovely with brown couches. But I’ve been in a green rut for years so my opinion is bias…

3. Rachel Barker October 31, 2010 at 10:26 pm #

Your house looks beautiful!!! Congrats, girl. My suggestion would be to go through your closet and pull out a few items that make you feel really happy when you wear them. Pick the color from that. 🙂 Happy housewarming!

4. julia October 31, 2010 at 10:35 pm #

well if you want a cool color i’d go for a green, but if you are looking for a warm color i like some shades of orange…i know it’s alot, but if you have stuff on the wall and match it well to the floor so it looks good it can look really great!

5. Lisa November 1, 2010 at 10:57 am #

I think Sherwin Williams “Fine Wine” would really llook great on that wall and would also coordinated with the brown furniture and blue dining room.

6. Ginny November 1, 2010 at 11:09 am #

Hi…I think I would go with a color that has sordof a tan/beige undertone to it, but has a yellowy/orange. It will be warm (as I prefer family rooms to be) and cheerful at the same time without feeling like a lemon or orange is in there. Let me see if I can find a swatch color. You def do not want a blue themed house LOL.

7. Ginny November 1, 2010 at 11:18 am #

Ok like Sherwin Williams Tiger Eye or Gingery. But that’s just me 🙂

8. Candice {The Beautiful Mess} November 1, 2010 at 3:47 pm #

I love these colors…they are all pretty different…but like Ginny, I think that the living room should be warm, comfortable and inviting….

Trinket
    High Strung
    Fireworks
    Determined Orange 🙂

• rschlieman November 2, 2010 at 10:30 am #

I was originally thinking a green, but I got stuck on blue. But Candice, I like that Determined Orange color. And I love it’s name! 🙂